Tips for Designing a Good Business Sign
Your business signage, whether interior or exterior, must have the right message, be easy to read, and be eye-catching. You must consider many factors when designing a good business sign. Our professional designers at Dickson Graphics share some design tips with you in this blog.
A Good Business Sign Has the Right Message
The message on the sign should be informative, but as brief as possible. For example, a sign could have this text: “Returns, Exchanges, Refunds, Complaints, Billing Problems.” But it would be better to have a sign that says it all with two words: “Customer Service.”
An Eye-Catching Sign Gets Attention
There’s a lot of competition for a customer’s attention. To make your sign eye-catching, try these tips:
- Use bright, contrasting colors that pop, such as red and yellow.
- Choose an attractive or unusual shape for your sign.
- Select striking graphics.
- Use an eye-catching, but easy-to-read font.
An Effective Sign Must Be Readable
What good is a sign if your customer can’t read it? So, follow these tips to ensure readability:
- Make sure the sign is large enough.
- Don’t put too much text on the sign.
- Don’t use fonts that are difficult to read or too small.
- Leave 30 – 40% of the sign’s face as “white space.”
And finally, don’t use color combinations that are difficult to read. Blue and red are the worst color combinations possible, especially blue text on a red background.
For an outdoor sign, use these colors for the best readability:
- Black, dark gray, dark blue, or red lettering on a white or yellow background
- White or yellow lettering on a black or dark blue background
- Black or red lettering on a light blue background.
- Yellow or white lettering on a red background
Don’t Settle for Just a Good Business Sign
You can use the tips in this blog to help make a good business sign. But if you want a GREAT business sign, come and talk to our graphic designers in person. The Graphic Design Services at Dickson Graphics are second to none. So, give us a call today and set up an appointment.